112 coaches attended this year’s Waterbowl Weekend, and it all came down to a nail-biting finish. After 6 hard fought rounds we found ourselves with a 7 way tie for top spot, with all of those coaches finishing with a 4/2/0 record. Lycos took home the title (his second) thanks to a stronger strength of schedule than his opponents.
First: Lycos (Lizardmen) – his 2nd WB title
Second: Siggi (Undead) – & Best Overseas Coach
Third: AntonLunau (Lizardmen)
Most TDs: Fireolli (WEs) 15 TDs
Most Cas: Drewcifer (Dwarves) 25 CAS
Stunty Cup: Thegngrnoob (Halflings)
Best Kid: Enderman (Brets)
Best Painted: Thor87 (Orc)
Best Comeback: Tintenfisch (CDs) +49 places on Day 2
Best Defence: Ringbeard (Norse) 1 TD allowed
Best WB coach: Podfrey (Undead) 5th
Biggest Nosedive: Yersinia (Nurgle) -53 places on Day 2
Least Dangerous: Dementor (Pro Elves) 1 Cas caused
Couldn’t Score… : Widram (Lizardmen) 2 TDs scored
Wooden Spoon: Lolcaesar (Chaos)
Best Fouler: Fatboyslimming (Goblins) 87 fouls committed.
Waterbowl Tableau – how it works and what we learn (by sann).
As with a few other tournaments, I have published an analysis of the rosters that people are taking to Waterbowl, one of the UK’s largest, oldest and most prestigious Blood Bowl tournament. I’ll describe quickly what the tabs do, and then a bit of analysis.
- Mobile Coach is designed for viewing on a mobile, so for the Coaches at the tournament to quickly check out their opponent’s roster.
The rest of the tabs are best viewed on a larger screen:
- Coach Rosters is a full list of all the coaches with their races, and if you click on a Coach then you can see the roster
- Race Summary shows how many of each Race have been taken, and if you click on a Race you can see who took, what positions they took, and how many of each skill were taken
- Skill Summary shows how many of each Skill were taken, and if you click on a skill you can see which positions it was taken on. Hovering over a position with a given skill will tell you which Coaches took that skill on that player.
- Race Position Choice is a simple table showing how many of each position were taken for each race, along with an average.
- Skill Pack simply shows which of the Waterbowl skill packs were taken
- The last two tabs are used in the previous ones for when you hover on a given cell, so won’t look good by themselves!
So, the findings!
- Waterbowl is super-bash heavy this year – Undead, Dwarf, Orc, Norse, Lizards, Chaos Dwarf dominating the line-up. Has this been influenced by the removal of the 2+ TD win bonus?
- Amazons have to have Roxy!
- The new Ogres are lovely but not lovely enough to encourage people to brave an untiered ruleset! 10 in total in the Stunty cup, so a reasonable but competitive field.
- A few stars are coming out to play – 2 Boomers and one Grim, plus G’Ral Bloodsucker from the new cohort.
- No Slann, Khorne or Pact this year, unless one joins the party late.
More to follow…
Waterbowl 2020 is taking place on 15-16 February 2020 at the North-West Gaming Centre in Stockport!
Monkeytrumpet (21672) Lizardmen
Don_Vito (10434) Amazons
Winkle_Picka (12545) Wood Elves
AndyDavo (19726) Wood Elves
Tats (25375) Chaos
mjallen (26077) Goblins
darkdan (17198) Amazons
- Wooden Spoon/Boxer Shorts of Alternative Achievement
BenShaw (27370) Humans
- Couldn’t Score…
gillywonka (21831) Chaos
- Least Dangerous
ahzek (25975) Dark Elves
- Best Tyro!
lolcaeser (26745) Chaos
- Best Overseas Coach
Candlejack (5844) Amazons
- King of the Surfs (sponsored by AndyDavo)
thor87 (21674) Khorne
- The Foul Appreciation Society Award (Most Fouls – sponsored by Zerosgiven)
FatboySlimming (25467) Chaos Pact
- Best Sunday Comeback
Jawa (24641) Dark Elves
- Nosebleed Award
Howza (27363) Skaven
It all kicks off on January 15th 2019. As ever we will be working to a schedule of 2 weeks per round, and no extensions.
As we’d like to do a live draw on January 8th, I’ll need your teams to be on the obblm by January 7th. If you don’t have an account just go to thenaf.obblm.com
Please post below with your teamname & race. If you’ve not played with us before please add the coach name that you’re using on the obblm.
We are trialling a bit of a tweak to the norm this season:
Khorne, Nurgle, Chaos, Slann, Underworld, Vamps will get to choose a normal skill for two of their linemen (ie your 0-16/0-12 positionals)
Ogres, Goblins, Halfling will get to choose to have either two x normal skills as above or take a double one of their linemen (0-16 positionals)
The skills don’t count for tv. Your players will start with 0spp.
Once you’ve chosen your team please let me know your skill choices so I can put them on the website.
There will be a Stunty Cup prize for best Stunty.
Remember there’s a £5 entry for each premier league season. This is to keep the trophies and freebies pot going.